About Me

I was in a bad car accident 11 years ago, and was diagnosed with a Brachial Plexus injury. My left arm has been paralyzed ever since. I was sent to an occupational therapist to get help doing things one-handed, and was told that bicycling and kayaking were "essentially two-handed sports". I was on a bike within a week, and have since logged thousands of miles. I rediscovered running soon afterward, and have run 4 marathons (including the Boston Marathon) and 14+ half marathons since I was injured. Last year I did my first sprint triathlon (Danskin), and beat nearly half the women in the swim using my one arm. Now I'm training for a 2-mile swim in St Croix in October. It will be a challenge to get up to that distance, but I'm sure I'll get there. I'm hoping to build a community that encourages challenged athletes in our individual effort, and gives us a place to share our athletic successes and challenges.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Swimming in England

We're gong to be visiting Jonathan's grandmother in England soon, so decided to stay in Folkestone so we can keep up with our swim training. We might head over to Dover as well, to train in the Harbor.

I did some online research trying to find local swimmers that could tell us the best spots & other info, and ended up reading a lot about the English Channel swimmers. These people swim the 21 mile crossing, and are usually lucky if they can do it in 10 hours.

That puts my 2-mile swim in October into perspective. If they can do 21 miles (and a few do double or triple crossings!!) in cold, rough water, then I can certainly do 2 miles in the warm Caribbean.

We definitely plan to bring our wetsuits with us to England, although the "true" Channel swimmers do it without. We might be considered wimps, but I get so cold in Lake Washington that I would probably turn blue without one :)

By my next post, I'll probably have swam in the Channel!! I'll let you know how it goes. 

No comments: