About Me

I was in a bad car accident 11 years ago, and was diagnosed with a Brachial Plexus injury. My left arm has been paralyzed ever since. I was sent to an occupational therapist to get help doing things one-handed, and was told that bicycling and kayaking were "essentially two-handed sports". I was on a bike within a week, and have since logged thousands of miles. I rediscovered running soon afterward, and have run 4 marathons (including the Boston Marathon) and 14+ half marathons since I was injured. Last year I did my first sprint triathlon (Danskin), and beat nearly half the women in the swim using my one arm. Now I'm training for a 2-mile swim in St Croix in October. It will be a challenge to get up to that distance, but I'm sure I'll get there. I'm hoping to build a community that encourages challenged athletes in our individual effort, and gives us a place to share our athletic successes and challenges.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The English Channel

So we're back from visiting J's Grandmother and swimming in the English Channel.

Our first day in Folkestone we met a swimmer that was scheduled to swim across to France the next day. He was about to go for a warm-up swim and looked nervous about the rough weather/waters and how they would effect his chances the next day. We decided to rest, and hope that the weather got better the following day.

It was a good thing we waited, because the water was perfect and calm for us on Friday. We hoped that meant a good chance for our Channel Swimmer. I have to admit that I was still intimidated by the cold, milky-white water, and it was really unsettling not being able to see my hand after it entered the water.

After a while I got used to it and felt great for working through the fear. I really enjoyed the rest of the swim and felt totally exhilarated moving through the water. We went again the next day, and had an even better time. It was a bit sunny, so the optimistic locals all came out to enjoy the last of summer.

We were the only ones in the water, so I felt a bit like the entertainment as I struggled to get on my wetsuit. I swam out quite a bit further that day, and felt pretty secure in the super-salty buoyant sea. At one time J got worried and swam by to check on me. I just flashed him a smile and said I was having FUN!

We swam almost every day, and the waves started to build as the weather got rougher. I got some good experience swimming in heavier chop and swells than I'm used to, and it helped me feel more confident about the upcoming St Croix Coral Reef Swim.

Tomorrow I do my first 2-mile swim in Lake Washington (back on home turf) and get to see if swimming in the English Channel helped my training out. Of course I never attempted the crossing to France, but a man from Finland completed it on the day our friend was scheduled--I think he made it!



No comments: